Do you still remember the most embarrassing random erection you ever had? Random erections or spontaneous erections happen even without any physical or psychological sexual stimulation. And just as the name indicates, it happens randomly, regardless of whether you’re riding the subway, at home in bed, or in the middle of a business meeting.
Needless to say, random erections can be very inconvenient and embarrassing. They’re also quite normal. That is if they happen to you only occasionally. But if you keep getting random erections several times in a day, that’s a different story. Below you’ll find tips on how to deal with spontaneous erections, so keep reading.
Causes of Spontaneous Erections
Normal erections are typically triggered by some form of sexual stimulation. You may be thinking about a sexual fantasy, or you may be watching porn and that can give you an erection. Random erections, on the other hand, happen out of nowhere and are often totally inappropriate.
Nocturnal penile tumescence, often referred to as morning wood or morning steel, is one of the most common causes of random erections, although waking up with a morning wood is not as embarrassing as having a random erection when you’re out in public.
One theory about nocturnal penile tumescence is that these random nightly erections happen to help keep your erectile tissues in good condition. The fact is that the tissues in your penis need to be exercised regularly so that they won’t fall into disuse and degenerate. Having erections at night, although unplanned, can help you do that.
Another theory is that the tissues that make your penis stand at attention at night actually help you avoid wetting your bed. When you’re having a nocturnal penile tumescence, it stops you from voiding yourself while you’re sleeping.
Hormonal changes in your body that happen at night while you’re asleep often cause nocturnal penile tumescence. It’s actually normal for you to experience erections while you’re sleeping, and normal men may have around three or more random erections each night.
The problem is when these hormonal changes that typically happen at night occur during the day when you’re out and about. When your hormone levels, especially your testosterone levels, fluctuate, it can lead to random erections.
The truth is that scientists have yet to figure out exactly what role testosterone plays in random erections. Nevertheless, it’s been established that when your testosterone levels go up and down or when your testosterone levels suddenly spike up, you may end up getting a rigid penis out of nowhere.
If you’re suffering from erectile dysfunction and are taking medications like sildenafil, random erections may actually happen to you as a side effect of taking the erectile dysfunction medication.
There have also been studies about the antidepressant medication venlafaxine and how it may cause random erections as a side effect. Because most antidepressant drugs often target neurotransmitters, these drugs often affect how the brain processes sexual stimulation and triggers sexual response.
Reflex erections are another type of spontaneous erections. Reflex erections are also triggered by non-sexual factors and you may experience them when you’re extremely scared, angry, nervous, or when you’re under a lot of stress.
Other causes of reflex erections include recreational drug consumption. When you feel the need to urinate, you may also experience a reflex erection. There are also times when an underlying medical condition like having an enlarged prostate can trigger a reflex erection.
Random Erections and Erectile Dysfunction
In the past, random erections were seen as normal occurrences during adolescence and while men are sleeping at night. However, due to recent studies, random erections have gained more attention due to their association with erectile dysfunction.
In essence, if you keep on getting spontaneous erections in the absence of sexual stimulation, but you can’t get it up when you really need it right before you start having sex, it could be your sex organ’s way of telling you that there’s a problem. You may be suffering from erectile dysfunction caused by psychological factors.
These psychological causes of erectile dysfunction may vary including stress, anxiety, problems with your relationship, financial problems, or work-related problems. Depression is another common psychogenic cause of impotence. The good news is that psychologically-induced erectile dysfunction can be treated.
How to Manage Random Erections
Simply because they’re totally unexpected, random erections may be difficult to manage. It’s not as if you can take medications beforehand to prevent them from happening, just like you would take a motion sickness pill before boarding a boat. However, there are things you can do to hide your rogue boner.
- Hide it. Hiding your spontaneous erection is perhaps one of the best things you can do to avoid embarrassment. That is, if you have something to cover your groin area like a bag or a newspaper or if you can sit behind a desk.
- Put your hands in your pocket. If you’ve got absolutely nothing to cover your random erection, try putting your hands in your pocket. See if you can reposition your penis so that your erection won’t be too obvious.
- Focus. Getting yourself mentally distracted and focusing on something else may help make the erection go away. Thinking about your monthly budget may help or you can think about math problems. Although being too negative isn’t a good thing, a bad memory or a depressing thought may just help you get rid of your random erection.
- Take a walk. If you can, try walking to the restroom where you can deal with your spontaneous erection in private. If that’s not possible, like when you’re sitting down with colleagues during a business meeting, at least try to change your position.
- Avoid further stimulation. The thing about random erections is that they happen just when you least expect them to and in situations wherein having an erection is considered socially inappropriate. Thus, you’ll need your erection to die down right away. In order for that to happen, you should avoid stimulating your erection as that may just prolong the erection.